12/23/10

Celebrating Sex

I was surfing the the YouTube a few days ago when I came across this:
 WARNING: this clip contains sexually explicit lyrics. Click at your own risk.





Wow, right?

At first, I was pretty weirded out. It was like watching A Seth Rogen movie. It's funny, but it's also kind of gross, so you're laughing but you feel really weird about it. I didn't even finish it the first time I saw it. But then, this morning, I went back and watched the whole thing and I realized something. If you remove all the innuendo commonly found in popular music today, this is what you end up with.

The team responsible for this little diddy is from Saturday Night Live, so the point of this video obviously to just be gross. But this video actually points to something profound. It's difficult to listen to popular music today without being exposed to graphic descriptions of sexual acts, men begging for sex (because we obviously can't function without it), and women using sex to advance in the world.

When I realized this, I suddenly saw the genius in this song. And the addition of Akon, an artist guilty of the very thing this song exposes, is the icing on the cake.

Something else dawned on me as well. Actually, it dawned on me this very moment, right now, as I'm writing this. Why don't we celebrate sex as a Christian culture?

Don't misunderstand me, sex is a very intimate act that was designed to be shared between a man and a woman in holy monogamy, and I don't need to be updating my facebook status with "Just had sex again". I don't agree that we should go into the detail that the above song goes into. But, sex is a truly wonderful thing that God has given us. It feels that amazing for a reason, people. It should make you're day brighter (If it doesn't, let me know and I'll do some serious praying for you.). You just did the most intimate thing you could possibly do with another human being. The Bible even commands that, as husband and wife, we have sex with each other (Genesis 1:28, 1 Corinthians 7:1-7).

Having sex is something God created all of us to look forward to and to strive to have one day. So when we finally get to have sex for the first time or the thousandth time, as long as it's within the parameters that God established for us, why don't we celebrate it?

I look as happy as the people in the video after I've just had sex. That's not gross, it's good. If I didn't look or feel that happy, that's probably a pretty good sign that something is wrong. Do I need to write a song about it and shout it from the Peabody? Probably not. But if we, as the Church, as the Body of Christ, don't talk about sex in the context that it should be talked about, we can't complain when our children or our lost friends view sex the same way that the world is telling them to view it.

If you think I'm over exaggerating....



 


UPDATE: I linked this on facebook and asked people to leave me their two cents. I wrote the following response to one comment and I think it spells things out more clearly than what I was able to conjure up above. I hope it clears up what I'm trying to say a little bit.

I think what I'm trying to say is that the Church treats sex like this horrible wart, which has placed the responsibility of teaching our youth about sex on the world. And the world has happily accepted the challenge.

Sex isn't this disgusti...ng thing we should shy away from at all cost. It's a beautiful act when it happens between man and wife and it should be celebrated as being wonderful. There's an entire book in the Bible that could have been ripped right out of the pages of a steamy romance novel. The difference between it and our little YouTube video is, of course, that Song of Solomon is a song about two people that have taken that vow of marriage and "I Just Had Sex" is not.


Solomon wrote poetry about his rendezvous with his lover, and we canonized it as the Word of God. But if I talk about my interactions with my wife it's suddenly taboo? Where's the sense in that? I just think we need to take the act of sex and topic of sex back from Saturday Night Live; back from Jay Leno; back from American Pie, and make it what was created and designed to be. And unless we're willing to be as enthusiastic about it as Solomon was and as Akon apparently is, we're never going to accomplish that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment