3/15/11

Violence, Foul Language, and Sexual Content in the Media: Music

I can watch D-Day unfold in Saving Private Ryan 7 times, see Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis make out in Black Swan 20 times, and listen to Christian Bale belittle a crew member with all of his colorful language 100 times, and the next day not recall any of that as vividly as I can recall the lyrics to the theme song from ABC's Saturday morning cartoon Sonic the Hedgehog. I haven't heard that song in almost 15 years.

Music is infectious. Music finds it's way down into the deepest, darkest parts of your memory and sets up camp. Music is memorable in a way that no other form of media could ever hope of being. Words spoken in rhythm and to a tune will stick with you. If I describe to you what it would be like if I ripped your flesh off in vivid detail, it'll stick, for a little while. If I sing you the same description, you won't likely forget it for quite a while.

This is the very reason that Kellogg's, Hasbro, and many other advertisers pay big bucks for commercial jingles. Some companies simply license a song to play during their ad. Thanks to Cellular South, I can't here "I Just Came to Say Hello" (Martin Solveig featuring Dragonette) without thinking of ridiculously affordable phone service and Android powered phones. I can only imagine the effect music would have on me if I were to expose myself to regular doses of Katy Perry and Usher.

I don't like putting more weight on the music industry, because, as I've pointed out in my earlier posts, I do believe that everything has a place in all forms of art. I just believe that the music industry has a much bigger responsibility because of music's effect of the listener.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. And I find it strange that the censors find it necessary to bleep Nickle Back's mention of smoking weed when Lady GaGa can sing all about taking rides on penises and Britney can gush about her threesomes. Plus, you can flip right on over to the Classic Rock station and hear about female dogs about fifty times in one song by Elton John. Interesting indeed.

    ReplyDelete