10/16/11

What Am I Doing?

Have you ever looked around at your life and asked, "What the hell am I doing?"

I have. Many, many, many times over the course of my life. Sometimes it's because I climbed up on the roof, ignoring my fear of heights, only to be quickly reminded once it's time to climb back down the ladder. Sometimes it's bigger picture, like when I had been at Cracker Barrel so long that I got offered a chance to train to become a manager.

I want to talk big picture stuff here. A friend of mine posted the following an his facebook page: "If you want to do something great with your life and make a difference, you cannot do so until the pain of being average is stronger than the fear of uncertainty." This phrase didn't originate with him, but it really struck me when I read it. It sums up everything that I'm feeling. The fear of uncertainty has always existed and has grown since I became married and a father. Lately, though, the pain of being average has grown exponentially and far outweighs that fear of the unknown.

I have to respond appropriately to this pain. I cannot be reckless in my response, but I also cannot be timid. I must be bold. I must be strong. I must have faith in my God. I must trust that He will take care of me and my family in spite of my shortcomings, whether I succeed or fail.

I have to surround myself with like-minded people. I have to find people who have also looked around at their surroundings and said, "What the hell am I doing? I'm better than this. I was meant for more than this!" I have to find people who are willing to take risks. I have to find people who want to be remembered when God is done with them on this planet.

If you're one of those people, please, I beg you, let's surround ourselves with each other. Let's change our situation. Let's do something worth doing. Let's talk, and then let's do.

No comments:

Post a Comment